05/20/2026 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 05/20/2026 16:43
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 20, 2026
Contact: [email protected]
Governor Whitmer Statement on Passage of Bipartisan Bill to Prepare Selfridge for Fighter Mission
LANSING, Mich.-Today, Governor Gretchen Whitmer released the following statement celebrating the passage of necessary funding for improvements to Selfridge Air National Guard Base (Selfridge) in Macomb County ahead of the June 1 deadline.
Governor Whitmer Statement
"Today's funding is a huge, bipartisan win for Michigan that will grow our economy and make our country safer. Since securing a new F15-EX fighter mission last year, I've been working closely with our federal partners and Congressional delegation to prepare Selfridge with upgrades to runways and taxiways. But we needed state funding to ensure the base will be ready for new aircraft to start arriving by 2028.
"Today, we landed the plane. Delivering this funding by June 1 was critical to securing the fighter mission and protecting Selfridge for the future. This supplemental is more proof that when we work across the aisle and focus on the issues that matter to Michigan families, we can make a difference.
"Let's keep up the momentum and continue working together to lower costs, deliver on Michiganders' priorities, and get things done. I'm looking forward to the legislature sending a balanced state budget to my desk before July 1 for my signature."
What They're Saying
"The servicemen and women of Selfridge are a point of pride for our whole state," said Senate Majority Leader Winnie Brinks (D-Grand Rapids). "Today, we are reaffirming our commitment to them, their work, and future missions at the base. This is an investment in both our economy and our national security, and our actions today will ensure that the base is equipped to support the next generation of high-tech, high-powered missions."
"Meeting this deadline is critical because it allows us to move immediately into the next phase of this project and hire a construction manager so work can begin without delay," said U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Paul D. Rogers, adjutant general and director of the Michigan Department of Military and Veterans Affairs. "These runway and taxiway improvements are essential to ensuring Selfridge is fully prepared for the arrival of the F-15EX mission. This investment strengthens our national defense capabilities, secures the future of Selfridge, and demonstrates Michigan's continued commitment to supporting the current and future needs of the warfighter."
"Today, we were able to take a major step to build on the bipartisan work we've done to secure the future of Selfridge for another 100 years, as well as the jobs and economic impact the base provides to our region and state," said state Senator Kevin Hertel (D-St. Clair Shores). "For me, this has never been who gets credit - it's been about delivering the resources needed to ensure the base is ready to meet the needs of its new fleet. Together with the Governor, our federal delegation, local officials, and base leadership, we're now one step closer to completing the mission."
"Today our state took a definitive step in securing the future of Selfridge Air National Guard Base," said Mark Hackel, Macomb County Executive. "This funding commitment from the legislature will guarantee the necessary infrastructure and squad operation enhancements which will welcome our new fighter and tanker squadrons. On behalf of all our base advocates I want to thank Governor Whitmer, Speaker Hall, Leader Brinks and Senator Hertel for their leadership on this transformational initiative. Macomb County will continue to work with base leadership, our local communities and all strategic partners to modernize our hometown airbase."
"This state funding for Selfridge Air National Guard Base is a critical component in ensuring the future of the base, and I appreciate the support and hard work by Gov. Whitmer, state Sen. Kevin Hertel and the Republican members of the state House that had already supported the funding, including Reps. Ron Robinson and Alicia St. Germaine," said Candice S. Miller, Macomb County Public Works Commissioner. "This is how government is supposed to work -- not only for the defense of our nation and the capabilities of our dedicated servicemen and servicewomen, but for the economic strength of the region and the entire state."
"Investing in these runways means more than just funding the project itself. It means investing in the thousands of local and statewide workers who keep this strategic military infrastructure and its projects running, as well as the 5,000 active duty, reserve, and civilian personnel who serve and work at Selfridge." said state Representative Denise Mentzer (D-Mount Clemens), "It means investing in an institution that brings an estimated $850 million - $1 billion in annual economic impact to Macomb County and Southeast MI, and that means truly investing in our local economies. This is not a Democratic issue or a Republican issue; this is a Michigan security and freedom issue."
"The men and women at Selfridge work hard every day to keep Michigan and our nation safe through their dedication, training, readiness, and refueling operations." said state Representative Mai Xiong (D-Warren), "Their service and sacrifice are vital to our national security, our economy, and our military families' future. I'm proud to help secure the funding and resources needed to ensure we have a modern, state-of-the-art base that supports their work and keeps our Air National Guard mission strong for the future."
"Selfridge is a huge part of our community and economy, and this investment helps secure its future," state Representative Mike McFall (D-Hazel Park) said. "Supporting the base means supporting local jobs, strengthening Macomb County, and making sure Selfridge continues playing a critical role in our national defense."
"The approval of critical funding for improvements at Selfridge Air National Guard Base is tremendous news for Macomb County and the entire state of Michigan. This investment strengthens our national security while protecting and growing thousands of good-paying jobs tied to Selfridge and the businesses that support it throughout our region, said Joe Sabatini, Macomb County Board of Commissioners Chair. "We are grateful for the federal support behind this effort and remain committed to working with state and local partners to secure Selfridge's future."
"Funding the infrastructure improvements at Selfridge is great news for Michigan," said Ken Verkest, Harrison Township Supervisor. "Although the base is located in Harrison Township, it is a regional and state wide asset. Our National Guard forces are an extremely cost effective part of our national defense, and Selfridge is one of the best. The much needed upgrades at the base will help ensure the future of Selfridge."
"Continued investment in Selfridge is critical to Macomb County's economy, workforce and national defense mission," said Kelly Lovati, President and CEO of the Macomb Chamber of Commerce. "The arrival of the F-15EX fighters and KC-46A tankers will strengthen our national security while creating long-term opportunities for jobs, workforce development, advanced manufacturing and economic growth throughout Macomb County and the state of Michigan. We applaud our state and federal leaders for recognizing the strategic importance of Selfridge and working together to help secure its future."
"Connect Macomb applauds the passage of the Selfridge funding bill and the bipartisan commitment to protecting one of Michigan's most important economic and defense assets," said Stacy Ziarko, President & CEO Connect Macomb. "This investment secures jobs, drives future economic growth, and reinforces Macomb County's leadership in aerospace and defense."
Selfridge Background
Selfridge contributes an estimated $850 million to Michigan's economy, supporting 30,000 jobs statewide and over 5,000 members of the Air and Army National Guard and Reserve components. It is home to units from every U.S. Armed Service except Space Force, as well as homeland security operations by Customs and Border Protection.
Selfridge supports Michigan's defense industry, which contributes $30 billion to the state's economy and supports approximately 166,000 jobs. It directly supports other military installations in Michigan, such as Camp Grayling, the Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center, Battle Creek Air National Guard Base, and the Detroit Arsenal, among others. With its legacy of serving F-16s and A-10s, Selfridge is well equipped to support a fighter mission, which includes not just aircraft but also auxiliary and support staff and materials. The new F15-EX mission at Selfridge builds on the successful, bipartisan effort to secure a new KC-46A tanker mission at the base, which was announced in January 2024.
A supplemental budget will allocate $152 million in state general fund to support runway and taxiway upgrades at Selfridge in advance of the new fighter mission. At the same time, the State Budget Director will lapse an equivalent amount of funds from the Strategic Outreach and Attraction Reserve, or SOAR to offset the general fund cost of the project.
Growing Michigan's Defense Industry
Governor Whitmer has worked hard to grow Michigan's defense industry, create good-paying jobs, and build more cars, chips, drones, and batteries right here in Michigan.
Advocating for Selfridge
Since day one, Governor Whitmer has been laser-focused on winning a game-changing new fighter mission at Selfridge to support Michigan's defense industry and protect our national security:
###