08/17/2026 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 08/17/2026 13:27
SYRACUSE, NEW YORK - Emmerson Versain Velasquez-Hernandez, age 25, of Guatemala, pled guilty on Tuesday, July 21, to one count of illegal reentry into the United States. First Assistant United States Attorney John A. Sarcone III and Acting Chief Patrol Agent Richard J. Fortunato of the U.S. Border Patrol's Swanton Sector made the announcement.
Velasquez-Hernandez was previously arrested in 2024 for entering the country illegally and was subsequently deported. On May 4, 2026, he was found in the country following a traffic stop in Franklin County. Velasquez-Hernandez had not sought or received permission from the Attorney General or the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security to reapply for admission into the United States.
First Assistant U.S. Attorney John Sarcone said, "Illegal aliens who enter the United States unlawfully pose a real and immediate risk when their identities and intentions are unknown. This defendant had previously been removed for illegal entry and again chose to violate U.S. law by reentering the country. Thanks to the efforts of our partners at the U.S. Border Patrol, this individual will be returned to Guatemala."
Swanton Sector's Acting Chief Patrol Agent Richard J. Fortunato said, "I commend the agents of Swanton Sector for their hard work in contributing to the successful prosecution of those who commit crimes along our nation's borders. Our efforts help protect and improve the quality of life for border communities and for those in the interior of our country."
District Court Judge Elizabeth C. Coombe sentenced Velasquez-Hernandez to time served based on the two and a half months he has spent imprisoned on the charge since his arrest. Following his sentence, Velasquez-Hernandez is subject to deportation.
U.S. Border Patrol investigated the case. Assistant U.S. Attorney Kevin Cheung prosecuted the case.