United States Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Florida

05/21/2026 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 05/21/2026 08:31

Violent Criminal Illegal Alien from Honduras Sentenced for Illegally Reentering the Country

Pensacola, Florida - Franklin David Zelaya-Funez, 33, of Honduras, was sentenced to fourteen months in federal prison after pleading guilty to illegal reentry of a removed alien. The sentence was announced by John P. Heekin, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Florida.

U.S. Attorney Heekin said: "This criminal illegal alien previously committed a serious violent felony while unlawfully present in our country, and despite being deported after that prior offense he illegally re-entered our country yet again. Enough is enough. President Donald J. Trump and acting Attorney General Todd Blanche have made clear through Operation Take Back America that the safety of our communities is not negotiable. The Department of Justice will aggressively prosecute the criminal illegal aliens invading our country until our citizens can walk the streets of their neighborhoods without fear of violent thugs, like this defendant."

According to court records, the defendant was deported from the United States in 2021 after being convicted of felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without the intent to kill. He is also the subject of a permanent domestic violence injunction. The defendant illegally returned to the United States and was found in June 2025.

"This case underscores our unwavering commitment to protecting American communities from individuals who repeatedly disregard our laws and pose a threat to public safety," said Homeland Security Investigations Tallahassee Assistant Special Agent in Charge Nicholas Ingegno. "The United States will not tolerate the standard of violence seen in other countries around the world, and we are resolute in removing weapons from those who cannot legally possess them. HSI, alongside our law enforcement partners, will continue to pursue every legal measure to keep our communities safe and uphold the rule of law."

Deportation proceedings against him will commence following the conclusion of serving his federal sentence.

The case was investigated by U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement's Enforcement and Removal Operations. Assistant United States Attorney Brooke DiSalvo prosecuted the case.

This case is part of Operation Take Back America, a nationwide initiative that marshals the full resources of the Department of Justice to repel the invasion of illegal immigration, achieve the total elimination of cartels and transnational criminal organizations (TCOs), and protect our communities from the perpetrators of violent crime.

The United States Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Florida is one of 94 offices that serve as the nation's principal litigators under the direction of the Attorney General. To access public court documents online, please visit the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of FloridaLinks to other government and non-government sites will typically appear with the "external link" icon to indicate that you are leaving the Department of Justice website when you click the link. website. For more information about the United States Attorney's Office, Northern District of Florida, visit https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndfl.

United States Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Florida published this content on May 21, 2026, and is solely responsible for the information contained herein. Distributed via Public Technologies (PUBT), unedited and unaltered, on May 21, 2026 at 14:31 UTC. If you believe the information included in the content is inaccurate or outdated and requires editing or removal, please contact us at [email protected]