08/18/2026 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 08/18/2026 14:11
Memphis, TN - Clayton Bratcher, 25, has been sentenced to fourteen years and one day in prison following his convictions for multiple armed robberies of fast-food restaurants in Memphis. United States Attorney D. Michael Dunavant, of the Western District of Tennessee, announced the sentence today.
According to court documents, officers with the Memphis Police Department Safe Streets Task Force responded to three separate armed business robberies at fast food locations (two McDonald's locations and a Taco Bell) in the late night through early morning hours, between July 8th and July 9th of 2023. In each instance an individual, later identified as Clayton Bratcher, placed an order in the drive-through. After approaching the window, Bratcher pointed a firearm at employees through the drive-through window and demanded money from the cash register.
Bratcher was developed as a suspect through social media and tips from citizens after a media release. Initially, Bratcher was indicted on each robbery by the Shelby County District Attorney General's Office in state court. However, as part of a plea agreement, two of the three robberies were dismissed by the Shelby County District Attorney's Office, and Bratcher was sentenced to eight years in state prison as a result.
To properly vindicate the interests of the United States, prevent a manifestly inadequate sentence, and protect public safety, the U.S. Attorney's Office sought to hold Bratcher accountable under federal law. Bratcher was later indicted by a federal grand jury for the two robberies that were dismissed by the District Attorney's office. Bratcher was convicted of the federal offenses after pleading guilty on March 31, 2026.
On August 14, 2026, Chief United States District Judge Sheryl H. Lipman sentenced Bratcher to fourteen years and one day of federal imprisonment, to be followed by five years of supervised release. The federal sentence was ordered to run consecutive to Bratcher's previously imposed eight-year state sentence, for an overall effective twenty-two-year sentence. There is no parole in the federal system.
U.S. Attorney D. Michael Dunavant said: "Bratcher's misguided and impulsive violent crime spree is over. His lifestyle of lawlessness and selfish greed terrorized multiple victims - and has rightly earned him significant sentences in both federal and state prison that will remove him from the community and protect Memphians for years to come."
"Armed robbery is not simply a theft; it is a violent crime that creates fear throughout the community and puts innocent lives in danger," said Special Agent in Charge Terence G. Reilly of the FBI Nashville Field Office. "Today's sentence sends a clear message that the FBI is committed to investigating violent crime and working with our law enforcement partners to hold repeat offenders accountable at the federal level, where they face stiffer penalties and no possibility for parole."
This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Memphis Police Department (MPD) Safe Streets Task Force.
Assistant United States Attorneys Regina Brittenum and Gavin A. Smith prosecuted the case on behalf of the United States.
###
For more information, please contact the media relations team at [email protected]. Follow the U.S. Attorney's Office on FacebookLinks to other government and non-government sites will typically appear with the "external link" icon to indicate that you are leaving the Department of Justice website when you click the link. or on XLinks to other government and non-government sites will typically appear with the "external link" icon to indicate that you are leaving the Department of Justice website when you click the link. at @WDTNNews for office news and updates