MoDOT - Missouri Department of Transportation

05/21/2026 | Press release | Distributed by Public on 05/21/2026 14:17

MoDOT Urges Safe Driving Ahead of Memorial Day Weekend Travel

JEFFERSON CITY - With Memorial Day weekend expected to bring one of the year's busiest travel periods, the Missouri Department of Transportation today urged motorists to make safety their top priority.

Families heading out for summer vacations, major theme parks welcoming visitors, sporting events, Route 66 Centennial traffic and festivals across the state are expected to contribute to heavy road use in Missouri, with AAA forecasting nearly 800,000 travelers in Missouri this weekend. With the FIFA World Cup™ coming to Missouri in just weeks - and expected to draw hundreds of thousands of fans - higher traffic is anticipated throughout the following weeks and months as well.

"Memorial Day marks the unofficial start of summer, and with everything happening in Missouri this year, we expect high travel volumes statewide," said MoDOT Director Ed Hassinger. "Our focus is always on safety - getting people to their destinations and back home safely, while also protecting the workers who keep our transportation system moving. Let's also never forget that Memorial Day is a time to honor the men and women who gave their lives defending our freedoms. As we travel to spend time with family and friends, let's honor their sacrifice by choosing to drive safely, responsibly and respectfully."

State Highway Safety and Traffic Engineer Jon Nelson noted that after three consecutive years of declining statewide fatalities, recent trends are moving in the wrong direction.

"Both March and April saw more roadway fatalities than those months last year. As we head into one of the busiest travel weekends of the year, we need everyone to refocus on safe decisions behind the wheel," Nelson said. "Our long-term goal is zero fatalities - and we reach that goal one safe driver, one safe trip at a time."

Chief Safety and Operations Officer Becky Allmeroth emphasized that Missouri's construction season is now in full swing and encouraged drivers to use caution. Last year, 24 people were killed and more than 110 were seriously injured in Missouri work zone crashes.

"With Improve I-70, Forward 44 and dozens of other projects, we will have more than 1,000 active work zones this summer. No matter where you travel this weekend, you should expect to encounter roadwork," Allmeroth said. "We need drivers to slow down, stay alert and help protect our crews and each other."

####

For more information, call MoDOT at 888-ASK-MODOT (275-6636) or visit www.modot.org. To receive the latest statewide news and text alerts, signup for e-updates.

Follow MoDOT: Facebook| X (Twitter) | Instagram| YouTube

MoDOT - Missouri Department of Transportation published this content on May 21, 2026, and is solely responsible for the information contained herein. Distributed via Public Technologies (PUBT), unedited and unaltered, on May 21, 2026 at 20:18 UTC. If you believe the information included in the content is inaccurate or outdated and requires editing or removal, please contact us at [email protected]